Monday, July 28, 2008

The Last Summer (of You and Me)

The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares

Summary: Sisters Alice (21) and Riley (24) spend the summer at their beach house where they are reunited with long-time "summer friend" Paul (also 24), who has a unique relationship with each girl.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Comments: Brashares is the author the the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. I loved the relationships the girls in those books had, and really connected with them. In this book, the sisters are supposed to have an unbreakable bond, which explains the actions of the younger one half-way through the book. But I didn't feel that relationship until much later in the book, so it didn't really ring true for me. The romance between Paul and Alice was just okay. I didn't love his character enough to really get excited about it. And while I loved Riley, and the way she was portrayed, her character wasn't consistent enough for me to be totally on her side. I'm sure if you haven't read the book this review is very confusing. Sorry about that. But since no one really reads this anyway, it doesn't matter.

To sum up, this book was okay. I expected more. I may have to reread the Sisterhood again...

1 comment:

Kelly L said...

Guess what? I read this every week! And, told one of my girl friends about it . . . so there :)