Monday, November 16, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Summary: The love story between a woman and a man who involuntarily travels through time.

Rating: 2 out of 5

Comments: I had put off reading this book after hearing about its numerous offensive content (sex and F-words). But I finally gave in, deciding I would try to see past it. Now, having read it, I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone. The sex and the F-words are both, in my opinion, way over the top and ruin what could have been an amazing book, one that is life changing. In other words, I couldn't see past it.

That being said, if you are not particularly sensitive to language and sex, it is an incredible story that sucked me in emotionally, even though I was determined not to get involved. Although the book jumps around in time, it is easy enough to follow and the ending, which ties everything together, is so fresh and new it is almost enough to salvage the rest of the book for me. Almost, but not quite.

No comments: