Saturday, February 2, 2008

Feathers

Feathers by Jaqueline Woodson. Juvenile fiction (middle grades). Newberry Honor book this year. Eleven-year-old Frannie discovers how hope is like feathers (like the Emily Dickensen poem says) when a new boy, nicknamed Jesus Boy for his white skin and long hair, shows up in her class.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Review: Jaqueline Woodson has been recognized for her thought-provoking novels aimed at middle grades. In my opinion, there are not enough good books whose main characters are black. Woodson does a great job of writing about a way of life that is very foreign to me, yet creating characters who I connect with and care about. I was particularly impressed with the way she dealt with religion and hope, and the way Frannie experiences each. It was very refreshing and I think it would be a great classroom book, providing many opportunities for discussion. I enjoyed it, as I have other books she has written and believe that the novel deserved being mentioned as a Newberry Honor book this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How old middle grade? This sounds idyllic for my 10 and 9 year old.? I would love for them to experience other ways of life. Having grown up around blacks in high school, I know, but it's hard to describe. I loved my education! Tell me how easy or not it is to read!