Monday, February 25, 2008

Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner)

Summary: Set in Afghanistan over the course of three decades, Mariam and Laila, the wives of a man named Rasheed, struggle to find their place in an ever changing and volatile country.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Comments: While the story is so well-written and intriguing it's hard to put down, this book is in no way a "quick read." The book clap calls the book "heart-wrenching," and I couldn't think of a better word to describe it. We have heard so many things about the oppression of Afghan women, especially after the Taliban took over, yet I haven't ever completely identified with what it must have been like for them. The story is a beautiful blend of love, hate, domination and friendship and I would recommend reading it, as long as you are prepared for some heartache. I came away feeling so grateful to live in this country and to enjoy basic things like being able to walk down the street with my children that we normally might take for granted.

4 comments:

Lisha said...

I noticed your link so now I am commenting too. I agree with what you said completely. One thing that really shocked me is realizing that this didn't even happen that long ago. This was in the 80's-90's. It's amazing to think that this was happening while we were in high school! We truly are blessed especially as women, in the United States!!

Linds said...

krystal i was so happy to see your comment! how are you? i'm going to check this book out next time we go to the library. sounds good. your blog is so interesting and fun to read! i'm going to add you to mine, if you don't mind. :)

Linds said...

ok now i'm confused. i thought this was your blog i saw a little while ago! ha ha! i guess that makes me apart of your book club! no really, how do i get to your family blog? i'm such a dork!

Kelly L said...

I really liked this book, although I had to question a book that made me feel so relieved and basically happy when one of the main characters is murdered (I won't give away too many details). I loved learning more about a culture that I know basically nothing about and I really enjoyed the love story and the deep friendship that blossomed under such demeaning circumstances. Thanks for your review!