Monday, April 14, 2008

The Female Brain

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine. Nonfiction

Summary: A neuropsychiatrist shares the years of research she has done on women's brains, and what exactly make us different from men.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Comments: We are reading this for our book club this month, which is why I picked it up. I found it very interesting and I learned a lot about what we have long expected--that men and women think differently. Anything about the brain is going to be very scientific and include a lot of lingo that the common person isn't used to, but for the most part, I didn't feel that this was too far over my head. In other words, there was enough to keep my attention, even when I wasn't exactly sure what she was talking about. The chapters about "the brain below the belt" and "the mommy brain" were especially interesting.

One thing that bothered me a little about this book was she seemed to condone, or at least explain away, bad behavior, especially in teenage girls. I had to remind myself that she is a scientist and explaining why women act the way they do was what she was trying to do. I did feel that she was excusing bad behavior in a way, though, and blaming a lot on the menstual cycle. Oh, and it's quite obvious that she isn't against women pleasuring themselves.

It's worth reading--it looks a lot longer than it is (really only about 160 pages of actual reading), and I think it probably will help me be more compassionate toward my daughters in the future. But I am still going to hold them to higher standards, knowing that we have been counseled to "put off the natural man" and not just use that as an excuse that "that's who I am."

No comments: