Monday, November 24, 2008

Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Summary: Fifteen-year-old D.J. Schwenk, the only girl in a family of football stars, spends her summer working on the family farm, training the rival high school's quarterback for the upcoming season.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Comments: I picked this book off the Young Adult shelves at the library knowing absolutely nothing about it, and, judging from the cover, it easily could have been a trashy teen romance. Fortunately for me, it wasn't. I instantly related to the main character, a girl who isn't
"girlie" at all. She is strong and a hard worker, and has had to shoulder most of the responsibility for the family farm in Wisconson with her brothers off playing football and her dad injured. Although she realizes how valuable she is to her family's well-being, she resents having to do so much alone. Until a family friend, the football coach at a rival high school, sends Brian Nelson, his quarterback in need of refining, to help the family out.

D.J. also loves football, which is obviously something I relate to. When she decided to try out for the high school team (it is only seven on seven after all), I couldn't help but remember how that had been my plan too, once upon a time.

I know this book isn't for everyone, but I loved it, and am excited to get my hands on the sequel. I'm anxious to find out what happens next.

No comments: