Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Summary: The Nolan family is struggling to get by in the early 1900's in Brooklyn, New York, and are go to great lengths to make ends meet, making sure the children stay in school to receive their education.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Comments: One of the best books I have read in a very long time, and I imagine this one will stay with me for many years to come. The story is of an amazing (and timeless) family who I instantly connected with, especially Francie, the main character. It was sad and heart wrenching without being depressing. I know now that although I may have felt differently as a child, I truly don't know what it is like to have to go without. I will never know poverty the way it is described in the book and I will always have opportunities that most characters in the book would never dream possible. I feel so blessed for the life I have and grateful for those who have risen above their difficult circumstances to become successful.

No comments: