Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Magic of Ordinary Days

The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel

Summary: At the height of World War II in Colorado, Livvy Dunne finds herself pregnant and single, and agrees to an arranged marriage with a lonely farmer she has never before met to avoid familial humiliation.

Rating: 3 out 5

Comments: For a short novel, it took me a long time to read. The story was interesting, and I enjoyed reading about the Japanese-American interment camps during the 1940's, but much of the story dragged on for me. I expected there to be a little more magic found in Livvy's new ordinary life. I did enjoy the subtle love story, and the way she let herself fall in love with her new husband. I love the thought that sometimes we need to look a little closer to home to find what has been there all along. A good read, but not one I'll read again.

No comments: