Monday, March 30, 2009

The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (juvenile fiction, Newberry Award winner for 2009).

Summary: A toddler escapes the home where his family has been murdered and finds protection in a nearby graveyard, where the spirits who live there vow to raise him and protect him from the murderer who still wants him dead.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Comments: I am not disappointed that this was the Newberry winner this year. I found the book very original and entertaining, just not something I fell in love with. I would hand this to any boy who loves ghosts and ghouls and doesn't mind a little darkness. I had a few minor issues with the book, and wanted a bit more explanation for a few things (the Jack of all Trades association for one), but a good book.

No comments: