Monday, March 30, 2009

Savvy

Savvy by Ingrid Law (juvenile fiction, Newberry Honor book for 2009)

Summary: Just before Mibs turns 13, the long awaited birthday when her "savvy," or special ability will be revealed, her father is in a terrible car accident and is lying in a hospital bed in a coma, causing Mibs to wish with all her might that her savvy will somehow be able to wake her father up.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Comments: I really, really enjoyed this book. It is a tall tale, and is so different from other books I have read. Mibs (short for Mississippi) belongs to an unusual family, who each have to learn to "scumble their savvy" after they turn 13. Her older brother, Rocket, can manipulate electricity, while another brother, Fish, can create storms from water. Highly inventive, and I loved the language in the book, full of made up words that roll easily off the tongue. I loved the idea that we all have a savvy, even if we are unaware what it may be. I loved the ending, it brought tears to my eyes. I would recommend this book to any young girl, as well as their mothers. Great story.

No comments: