Monday, March 24, 2008

Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Summary: Amir, the son of a wealthy Afghan man, witnesses a horrendous act committed against his childhood friend and spends the next two decades trying to forget what he saw.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Comments: I had heard a lot about this book and wasn't sure I was going to be able to handle it. That is why I put off reading it for so long. But I am glad that I did. I am also glad I went into it knowing that some things would be hard for me to read. I think having that background made it easier to handle. While I liked the story and the message of this book a lot better than Splendid Suns, you don't get the same feel for the changes Afghanistan underwent as a country.

For this book alone, I thought that the message of forgiveness and redemption were so powerful that they overshadowed all the hate and brutality. This would be a great book club book (with the right book club), as there are so many things I would love to discuss about it. Just as long as you can stomach a little violence...

2 comments:

Patti said...

I tried to read it but wussed out...I was pregnant. Maybe I will try it again. BTW I read "Midwives" last week and finished in at midnight. It FREAKED ME OUT! But I loved it. Great reccomendation, thanks!

Sarah said...

Have you ever read "Ella Enchanted"? It's my new fav...quick and easy read.